Monday, November 23, 2009

My encounter with Rose Chan's first boyfriend





When Eric Khoo called me for lunch a couple of weeks ago and informed me that I will be meeting Rose's first boyfriend I was somewhat excited but really don't know what to expect.

When I first walked into Zhao Wei film office, I was stunned by seeing a fresh face. An old man, with clean and well-ironed shirt, with his white hair, and mustache. I sensed something special about this man. I somewhat sensed Rose in the presence.

Edward Khoo is his name, Eric introduced him as Rose' first husband. (They didn't get married officially though)

So I sat down next to him, and the video cam starts recording. As I was introduced as Rose Chan by Eric, he give me the stare and I can sensed that his mind was flashing back all his memories with Rose.

He immediately told me that Rose had curly hair.

"She is a very fun girl to get along, she likes to play, and indeed, she is a very playful girl. She flirts, and she really have her ways of seducing someone."

Wow, somehow I knew that he really had a great time while Rose was with him, cause I can see a smile on his face as he described Rose.

He shared a lot of good times that he had with Rose, and telling me a lot of the essence of Rose Chan.
He shared that Rose never have a chance to go to school, or she doesn't have much happy childhood, as she have to work and earn for her own living since very young.

When he first dated her out,he brought her out for some outdoor activities. Hunting flying fox, bring her to have western food, bring her to swimming, he always like to 'throw' her into the pool and doesn't care if have to wet out her outfit. He found that very fun, cause he knew that Rose couldn't swim. That moment, he laughed over his mischievous young days.

Somehow I can see tears in his eyes. It's was a very emotional time for me. I see the love of this man for Rose even after she has passed away and it has been so long

He told me that Rose was very famous in a club in New World and Rose was always fully PRE booked by many customers; this somehow caught his attention wondering why is this girl so popular and he find it so difficult not to get to know her. He then continued to share that many men at that time would track down where she live, and grab the best opportunity/timing and ask her out.

Rose is very smart and from the table he will know who are the monkey boys and who are the bosses. (Money boys are runners.)

He asked her not work and become his Mistress. When she quit, she just couldn't stay at home. While he gave her a sum of money every time he's away for business trip, she will finish spending it, and will ask money from his friend.
They always argued over this issue, Edward suspect that she didn't spent it on material stuff and was addicted to gambling.
When he left Rose, she can get over the break up just in a jiffy, and get attach with a new man immediately.

Director Eric Khoo then asked me to act out a conversation with him in cantonese. We did and he was so emotionally challenged that Eric immediately asked me to stop. I can see that he was talking to me as Rose. Scary but almost surreal!

We then adjourned to lunch and I can sense that he was still observing me over the lunch.
He then shared with Eric that the way I shouted at him, was VERY TYPICAL OF ROSE CHAN.

Eric felt happy and feel even stronger to get Rose going, we are definitely moving to the right direction

1 comment: